Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Am Hutterite

I Am Hutterite
The Fascinating True Story of a Young Woman's Journey to reclaim Her Heritage
By Mary-Ann Kirkby

Book Description
A fascinating journey into the heart and culture of a reclusive religious community.

I Am Hutterite takes readers into the hidden heart of the little-known Hutterite colony where author Mary-Ann Kirkby spent her childhood. When she was ten, her parents packed up their seven children and a handful of possessions and left the colony to start a new life. Overnight they were thrust into a world they didn't understand, a world that did not understand them.

With great humor, Kirkby describes how she adapted to popular culture, and with raw honesty she describes her family's deep sense of loss for their community. More than a history lesson, I Am Hutterite is a powerful tale of retracing steps and understanding how our beginnings often define us.

___________________________________________________________________

This is a wonderful memoir that Mary-Ann Kirkby has written. Living near a Hutterite Colony in Alberta, I have always wanted to know more about the Colony and she has given me a wonderful sense of the community that she was a part of. My heart went out to her and her family when they left the Colony for various reasons. I also really felt for her as she tried and tried to fit into the "English" world. Her world was turned upside down, but through it all she still found her sense of self...and that included her growing up as a Hutterite. This book is informative and touching all at the same time. Anyone who wants to read this book to get a better sense of the type of close community that a Hutterite Colony has and the extremely close ties that are developed from a young age, this book would do you good. My only thing that I did not like, was the very quick ending to the book before the epilogue. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed this book. My favorite part of the book that I wish was a part of our "English" world...is the nap time that the whole colony takes part in!!! That would be awesome!!!

As per FTC regulations, I have recieved this book as a complimenty copy as part of their book review program.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. That 'nap-time wish' caused me to chuckle. Being a teacher doesn't allow me to nap. Even in the summer I find my mind to occupied to do it. I enjoy long Sunday naps though!

    It always surprises me how little ppl know of the Hutterite colonies. Even though they live so close to them. I was able to appreciate many things about this book as well, other things, not so much. I was born and raised in one of the Dakota colonies and still live in one of the Minnesota colonies. I have my personal thoughts on this book posted on my blog. Check it out if you can find the time.

    http://blogs.allhutterites.com/lightofevenstar/

    ReplyDelete